A LITTLE HISTORY ABOUT US
The Hutchison congregation was formed in 1842 as the Greenwich Methodist Episcopal Church South. They met in the Greenwich Academy located in the rear of the S.A. Piper house on Greenwich Road, now Ferguson Road. This was the first school in the Hutchison Precinct. James S. Jacoby was a trustee of the school and continued until the Hutchison congregation and school moved to the Hutchison Road area.
The second location of the congregation met in the new one room Hutchison Academy of 1851, near Houston Creek. The school was dedicated by the Rev. J. D. Matthews of Lexington and the Rev. T. D. Wardlow, Pastor of the Hutchison congregation. The trustees who organized the school were Martin Hutchison, Aaron Smedley, and Fletcher Willmott. The Hutchison community was named after Martin Hutchison who built the first house, store, and blacksmith shop. He and his wife, Amanda, were also the postmasters. Lucy Snell's father, William Kenney Thomas, taught at the school for ten years. Lucy, member and organist, played for our church many years before passing away in 2016.
According to Methodist Church history, pastors in the rural community were circuit riders. In order for congregations to pay them, schools were built not only to help pay the pastors but served as the place for people to meet for worship service.
On May 13, 1876, Amanda R. Hutchison, widow of Martin Hutchison, deeded land next to Hutchison Academy on Houston Creek to congregation trustees, J. Smith Kenney, J. S. Jacoby, J. M. Case, Frank Wood, and Jacob Jacoby. The Methodist Episcopal Church South congregation built the Hutchison Chapel completed in 1877. Sadly, the church building burned prior to April 1913, but the congregation regrouped their faith and energy.
On April 7, 1913, M. R. Jacoby and his wife Emma M. Jacoby deeded two acres including a parsonage next to the current church building to the trustees Joseph Jacoby, George Jacoby, and J. W. Case for cash in hand of $1,515.00. The current Hutchison Chapel was rebuilt, as a single-vessel brick church with now rare smoked glass Gothic windows. The parsonage on the right side was sold off in 1963.
In 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church South became The Methodist Church, and in 1968, a merger with the Evangelical United Brethren Church resulted in the current United Methodist Church. The educational wing to the current building was added in 1986, and a picnic shelter built later. The sanctuary was remodeled with a side entrance in 2004.
Create Your Own Website With Webador